You’re in the middle of the most bitter week of winter and you wake up shaking in a pile of blankets in bed. Your first thought is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to find yourself in a situation like this where it feels like you’re predestined to suffer until morning to set up furnace repair, but there are a handful of things you can inspect, as well as a few things you can do, to stay on your toes and prep for a situation like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Chilly nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avoid a chilly morning.
- Compile supplies. Set aside some room in a closet, drawer or another easy to access area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace isn’t working. It may seem inconvenient or unnecessary now, but it will come in handy when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Operating:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace could have been tripped by a power surge or for another reason. If this happens, turn the breaker back on and you may be set. If the breaker is tripped and you have switched it back on but your furnace still isn’t running, give us a call to arrange an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer up and get cozy. That handful of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you retain body heat so you can stay comfortable while waiting for your expert. Also, try to find something active to do to keep your blood pumping, as elevated activity can help keep you comfortable.
- Stay safe. Using something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose potential danger depending on the method you’re using. It’s important to remember to never utilize heating methods designed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use a secondary method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your go-tos.
No one wants to deal with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has quit running, but the probability is real if you don’t take the right steps. Give the team at West Jefferson Plumbing and Heating, Inc. a call at 614-450-1575 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services available or any other number of heating questions.