Summer weather in West Jefferson can be rough. But you don’t have to make a choice between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility expenses. We’ve put together some tips to help you out.
The greatest thing you can do to stay comfy and maintain energy efficiency is by servicing your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® says keeping your system running at its best and efficiently, and West Jefferson Plumbing and Heating, Inc. is here to help. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll complete the following tasks noted by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to be sure there’s safe operation of your system and the possibility of a longer life for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as need be. Dirty coils require your system to run more often to do its job.
- Check system controls to ensure proper and safe operation.
- Check refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to be sure of proper system airflow.
Another crucial piece to staying cool is routinely inspecting your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter can raise energy expenses and damage your equipment, which could lead to untimely failure. Our West Jefferson Plumbing and Heating, Inc. professionals will check these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to take a look at the manufacturer’s recommendations to make your own schedule to switch them out.
Here are a few other tips to keep your home comfortable and energy-efficient:
- Check thermostat settings to ensure your air conditioner keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are gone.
- If it’s cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the crisp air cool your home for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to trap the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Take advantage of fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a bit higher than you routinely would without noting any changes in your comfort level.
- Another style of fan people seem to forget about when they’re attempting to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Make sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to get rid of the heat and humidity from your home.
- Try not to leave lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven add heat into your home, but even normal activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can boost the heat in your home.
If you’d like additional ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give West Jefferson Plumbing and Heating, Inc. at call at 614-879-9091 or request an appointment with us online.