Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how often your air filter has been replaced, to name a handful—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask West Jefferson Plumbing and Heating, Inc. in West Jefferson about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the timeline between professional cleanings.
Above all, arrange routine HVAC maintenance with the experts at West Jefferson Plumbing and Heating, Inc.. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should consist of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating well, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at West Jefferson Plumbing and Heating, Inc. about installing an air purification system. We have the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters habitually and changing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will display dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not demand replacement.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that let dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Trading poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your West Jefferson home clean and healthy. Give the pros at West Jefferson Plumbing and Heating, Inc. a call at 614-450-1575.