While the cold season seems like it’s already been around for way too long, its impact on our heating bill is just beginning. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To start controlling your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open over the warmest hours of the day to bring sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can more precisely control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter regularly.
- Checking your home's heating vents to ensure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your current furnace is more than 15 years old.
- Adding insulation to your attic to keep the heat trapped inside.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that no holes or areas need sealing.
Working to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions about the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a buzz at 614-450-1575. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy West Jefferson weather.